»

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Stop and Smell the Roses

It's been quite a long time since I've posted a serious MySpace blog. For the past week, I've been inspired by many things and so I thought I'd share them for those that are interested.

I've heard many things that have stopped me in my tracks. My new quote "When you become comfortable of uncertainty, infinite possibilities open up in your life" is one of those thoughts. We have a difficult time getting out of that "comfort zone" anytime it comes to taking risks in relationships, careers, or life decisions. Once we are "ok" with the not knowing and once we realize that change is constant, great, abundant things begin happening in our lives.

Last night I watched a movie (Things We Lost in the Fire) and it had me sobbing many times throughout. It reiterated the thought I tried to get across in my last blog (Lost). Things are far less important when we have our life, our breath, and each other. It touched a deep wound on my heart and made me rethink what's important.

Yesterday a few of my students began asking about my adoption, my family, my brothers and, finally, the loss of my brother. I ended up sharing with them far more than I'd ever expected. I still cry when I see a particular vehicle on the road. Mainly, because I am revisiting those emotions and acknowledging how long it took me to get to where I am now. It was a long, painful journey. My students reactions were what I expected - "You should write a book!" "You have so much to share!" I've heard it all before. Yes, I've started a book - 2 chapters and a title. If anything it will be something for my girls to remember me by and a great tribute to my brother's short life.

It will be 20 years in July since I saw my brother last. This week his memory seems to be appearing more than normal for whatever reason. I've made a vow once more just as I did 20 years ago: Stop and Smell the Roses. This was the theme at my brother's funeral and just as we all do, I sometimes forget how precious a life I have. Screaming girls, dinner cooking, chores to be done, working-mom guilt, fitting in all the calls to family or friends - this is real life, folks, and if we don't learn to cherish even these moments, the greater ones will pass us by, anyway.

Today, during a visit with a dear, close friend, I caught a picture of my Avery. She was smelling the roses. I don't share this often, but she so much reminds me of my brother, John. Her vivacious personality, her smile, her energy, her mischief.




I hope that many of you will remember to stop and smell the roses, as well. Gratitude is the surest way to infinite happiness.