»

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Presents or Presence?

32 years ago on Friday, I began my journey called "life." 31 has sort of been a reality check year for me. I'm sure from previous blogs any of my readers could have called that, especially if you read through them carefully. In a perfect world, my whole life would've taken a much different path. 


But this is not a perfect world and we do not live perfect lives. We go through many emotions as we grow older: happiness, sadness, disappointment, thankfulness, discovery, anger, relief, excitement, grief, love.........the list goes on and on and usually in a different order for everyone and always more than once. 

I feel a noble responsibility to reflect on my life each year that I celebrate a birthday and so this year isn't any different. I think that with the reflection time we are able to learn the lessons we were intended to take with us on our journey and share them with those that we encounter along the way. As I see and live those lessons, I'm humbled by the love that surrounds and encompasses me no matter what is going on and no matter where I am standing. 

One lesson I've learned this past year was to be present. To just "be." To breathe. To listen to myself and not drown emotions out with the noise of the world. As I began to do this, I began to see things in a different perspective. I began to clear my mind and see the bigger picture. I began to see things change around me. 

As difficult as the past year has been, especially the past few months, I'm thankful for all that it brought me - lessons, friends, love, happiness, thankfulness and acknowledgement. I acknowledge that I'm not perfect, that life isn't perfect, and that not being perfect is OK. I know that deep within my soul now. Perfection doesn't mean happiness or fulfillment. 

So, what does this year's birthday reflect for me? Well, instead of presents, all I truly need is PRESENCE. I know I need the presence of those that love me, the presence of those that bring a positive energy into my life, the presence of being and being ok with how NOT perfect each day can be. It is with the NOT-perfectness that brings about all the lessons, love, and laughter. :) 

Here's to living 32 not perfect years . . . . .