»

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Whoa!

What is going on with me lately? One minute I'm a content HS teacher and the next I'm throwing fear overboard and doing all sorts of crazy things. First a new job, now a new cut.

I cut my hair. Normally, this wouldn't be a very big deal for me. In my younger days, I always was proud of the fact that I was fearless and would try new hairstyles every few months.

As I've gotten into my 30's, I have found that I feel more comfortable and secure with my longer locks. But then yesterday I really started evaluating my reasoning for this and came the the conclusion that I have been hiding behind my hair and the fear of branching out.

So, this morning I took the leap and cut all my hair off. Well, not all of it, but most of it. Eeek! I feel naked and as though my identity has been taken away. :)

Truthfully, I'm not identified by my hair, my looks, my car, my job, my house, or anything else for that matter. Just like everyone, it's easy to fall into those labels and just get attached to them.

I realize, though, that all of those things are just the outer part and a small portion of my true being.

I am so much more than my hair. :)