»

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Space to Grow

What a week! Since my acceptance of my new job and duties for next year, I've been involved in more meetings than I ever thought possible. It has been a change for me - being around adults more than teens. It's a whole new territory for me.

Our district is actively looking for a new principal and I've been involved in small ways with that, too. The loss of our current principal is one that I take hard as my new video tech program is really his vision that I've agreed to carry out. He's leaving education to go into the ministry. It's a calling for him, just as taking this new position was a "calling" for me. I wish him the best of luck, but his absence will be felt for a while.

One other big change in our lives is actually quite small. We spent the weekend moving the girls into their own rooms. They've shared a room for almost 3 years. There have been hugs, tears, fights, yelling, and love, but the closeness was always there. However, Maddie made the decision to change up the sleeping arrangements. We'd painted out playroom with the thought that eventually she'd take that as her own room. However, for a whole year she resisted b/c she felt it was too far away from mine and Paul's room.

After watching an episode of John and Kate + 8, she looked at me and I knew it was time. So, after 5 hours of moving furniture, cleaning out toys, drawers, and movies - they each had their own space for the first time since we've been a family of 4.

Paul and I decided to leave Avery's toddler bed up until she decided she was ready for the "big girl" bed that Maddie had used since she was 3. We thought by summer she'd be ready, especially with turning 3 and soon to be potty training. When we asked if she'd like to sleep in the big bed, her answer was a solid "no" and we'd accepted that. Time for bed came and she did not hesitate to let us know that she was a big girl now and would be sleeping in the big girl bed.

Funny how nature works. Spring time is my favorite season because of all the newness that comes with it. New beginnings, new adventures, new growth. Once we have a little space to stretch our arms and legs, we are able to grow to heights we'd never expected.