»

Saturday, January 26, 2008

I'm Just Saying....

This has become my newly overused phrase. I picked it up from a student I have twice a day. He says it ALL the time and now I find myself saying it, as well.

Well, here's what "I'm just saying..." today:

I should feel crappy today for a few reasons.

One, Madison, woke up early this morning feeling sick, couldn't breathe, and running a small fever. I went back to bed b/c I felt bad, too. We were back up at 8. I went running thinking that I might feel a bit better after some fresh air and some time alone. It worked, but I still have a slight headache. Sickness means a few things for us this weekend. We missed dance class, we had to cancel a first time meeting with friend, Tonya, and her girls and we had to cancel a Sunday brunch with our best friends b/c their daughter also has the flu. This bummed us all out more than anything. We so very much enjoy the company of good friends. :(


Two - money. Will there ever be a little more than "enough?" I know God always provides enough of what we need. I know this, I know this. But this month has been difficult because we paid a bit extra in a few places. I would love to go shopping and get some new clothes for myself and not have to worry about the price tag. But Maddie needs new school shoes and it was Paul's birthday. (which was nice, by the way)

Three - Time. I never have enough of it. Every minute of my life seems monopolized by something or someone. Literally. Thursday, I got up, went running, got the girls ready, dropped Avery off early and got to Maddie's dentist appt with 30 seconds to spare. We finished there at 9:30. I stopped for a quick coffee and muffin at the Starbucks drive through and got her to school at 9:50. "Just in time" to be 2 hours late to my English curriculum meeting at our administration building. I'd been there for, oh, maybe 2 minutes and then was called out in the hall to make a few decisions regarding my technology classes. I left there at exactly 3:05 with just enough time to pick Madison and her friend up from school and enough time to pick up Avery early since her sitter requested it that morning. By the time I get home, I'm beat, tired, worn out with nothing left over. However, we did swing by the store, made Paul an ice cream cake and get all his presents wrapped before he walked in the door.
It's like that when I'm at school, too. I rarely get a full conference and am always bringing work home that I only get halfway through before it's time for bed again. I just need an extra hour or so somewhere in the day so that I can breathe deeply!


Now, my runs have been pretty productive lately. I've been downloading an inspirational podcast on my ipod to listen to while exercising. I love it! Today's "talk" was about being thankful for what you have and where you are. Then, this morning I opened my daily inspirational e-mail and read this:

Every step on the path is meaningful, and even one that seems to take us backward is a forward step in the sense that it is what we must do to move to the next level.

So, "I'm just saying," even though I'm bummed about several things today, I'm also thankful for a lot and had to stop (or run rather) to recognize that there is not a whole lot I can do about illness, a few steps I can take regarding money, and many choices I need to change throughout my day for a few extra minutes of solitude and recharging.