»

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

What MySpace Has Taught Me....

Believe it or not, there are a few things actually that have made an impression on me. I've always been pessimistic about any site where so many people get together and compare themselves. Despite all the times that I randomly think I'll just delete mine and cut off all contact with the free world, I keep going back. Here are some reasons why:

1. I have learned more new vocab words in the "mood" list than I would've if I'd never had an account. Just think - did you really know what pugnacious or obsequious meant until you got to Myspace. Probably not, but I'd bet money you would go to dictionary.com to look it up.

2. HTML or any programming. Granted, I knew a little before I started browsing pyzam.com for a new background. But unlike many programmers, I wasn't using all that I knew on a daily basis. Using Myspace allows me to tweak my layout just a tad bit more with that HTML knowledge.

3. I really am more confident than I use to be. wow! Despite many beliefs, I was always self conscious about everything and became my worst critic despite my good qualities. No doubt, I hate comparing lives with others because it just sets us all up for disappointment and the feeling of not having enough or being enough. But I realize now in my 30's, I'm proud of who I am, what I look like and am so very thankful for all that I have and everyone else should be proud, also.

4. I have learned more about people than I ever thought possible with those crazy surveys. I love reading them and finding out what people think about whatever topic comes ups, especially if they're humorous. I have also learned that I hate the Myspace version of an e-mail "fwd" - BEWARE IF U DONT REPOST THIS U WILLL HAVE BAD
LUCK FOR 2 yrs.
Or You Don't Love or Believe in God If You Don't Send This On In .2 Seconds. It's the same e-mail just disguised in different form. BEWARE!

5. Music - I have learned to branch out my musical interests since joining this crazy site that all the kids raved about 2 years ago. I learned that I enjoy many more types of music than I'd ever thought or even had been exposed to thus far.

6. Reconnecting with old friends; I never thought I'd enjoy seeing and visiting with old friends from high school or college until I actually did it. I remember finding a few of my high school classmates when I first joined. I was so genuinely happy for them and their beautiful families. Seeing everyone so grown up amazed me. I reconnected with people I have not seen or heard from in 20 years! It's nice to know that despite our regional locale, our occupations, or our past we can still get to know each other in our 30's.