»

Friday, February 1, 2008

Going Back To School

School House Rock! that is....

In case you are not familiar with this 70's and 80's icon, it is a series of 52 educational short films featuring songs that were released between 1973-1986, with a few "newbies" in the early 90's. Baby Boomers and Gen Xers are probably familiar with this fun way of learning. Earlier in the school year, I took a day off to go with Madison's class to see a theatre version of this American classic. It brought back so many fun, exciting memories for me as I reverted back to my childhood days of watching Saturday morning cartoons sprawled out on the floor with a blanket, a pillow and some breakfast.

Last night, I went to YouTube, a place I rarely frequent, because Madison asked me a question about groups of five's. I thought SHR would be a great way to get her to understand what I was saying. It did. Paul and I ended up sitting and watching 6 of the short videos with Madison and Avery. They were mesmerized with the songs and cartoons and were begging me at bedtime to let them watch just one more!

Here is a list of my favorites, including a few of the forgotten greats. Hope you enjoy them again and find some joy in sharing them with a new generation of learners!


Interjections!

Ready or Not Here I Come

Conjunction Junction

I'm Just a Bill

Three is a Magic Number

Figure 8

The Tale of Mr. Morton
(my personal fav)

A Noun Is A Person, Place or Thing

My Hero, Zero

(Had to throw in a free ad for my friend, SQuire Rushnell. Here is SQuire speaking about his first book on FOX News. My personal connection to SHR is SQuire Rushnell. While at ABC as Vice President of Family Programs he fathered the acclaimed Schoolhouse Rock series and ABC After School Specials capturing 75 Emmy Awards. SQuire is also the author of the When God Winks series, including When God Winks on Love, the book in which mine and Paul's story appears. We had the great privilege of meeting SQuire shortly after his second book was released.)